Sunday, October 28, 2007

Maggie's Trip to Ireland

Last week I had the good fortune of going on a 3-day celebration with my company to Dromland Castle, a luxury hotel in Ireland. The castle is located in western Ireland in County Clare, near the town of Shannon:


The castle is very old, dating back to the 15th or 16th century. It was rebuilt in 1835, and has been preserved with only minor changes since then, so it still looks very ancient. The outside is stately and regal, while the inside has labyrinthine hallways, stone floors and stone walls. This may give the impression that it was cold and uncomfortable, but the rooms all have modern amenities so they were very nice.



Castle from a distance

The grounds around Dromoland were stunning. We happened to have beautiful (although crisp) weather during the entire trip, which made me feel super lucky, given the fact that Ireland is typically very rainy this time of year. I got up early each morning and took a walk around, enjoying the lake, the sunshine, and the ducks. Some of my coworkers fished on the lake, others played golf, and still others did clay-pigeon shooting (!).


Web-footed friend

One night some friends and I visited a local pub called Durty Nellie's, which is famous in the region for its low ceilings and great Guinness on tap. It's also supposed to be the oldest pub in Ireland, although I imagine that title is fought over (like it is in London). As the hour grew late the locals started singing and playing stringed instruments... it was really fun. Unfortunately I forgot my camera so I don't have any pictures, but it was a great little place.


P.S. This was posted by Maggie, no matter what the little tag below says.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Bridget and I actually stayed at a B&B 2 miles from the castle. It was quite snazzy and very pretty. Though I was a bit irked that we couldn't even sit in the bar for a drink with out a suit jacket (apparantly nice collared shirts aren't enough).

-JLG